Wednesday, 23 November 2011

Deirdre Madden's All about Home Economics Gingerbread



In the Convent of Mercy, Secondary School in Kilbeggan, my Home Economics teacher was Mrs. O'Malley. She was a kindly, albeit old fashioned teacher, she taught me many things, everything from how to roll a Swiss roll to cutting out a sewing pattern. Most of which I've forgotten, unfortunately! I couldn't continue with the subject after my junior certificate but I did study it at home myself and with her help I got an honour in the leaving certificate. I never thanked Mrs. O'Malley personally for her help and as this recipe comes from that selfsame school text book, I'm dedicating this recipe to her.

Makes 1 Loaf

Ingredients
200g Plain flour
1/4 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Bread soda
1tsp Ground ginger
50g Sultanas
75g Margarine
75g Light brown sugar
1 tbsp Black treacle
1 tbsp Golden syrup
1 Egg
A little sour milk or buttermilk

Method
Sieve flour, salt, bread soda and ginger into a bowl. Mix in sultanas. Melt margarine, treacle, syrup and sugar over a low heat - do not overheat.



Pour liquid into centre of dry ingredients. Add egg and enough milk to give a soft dropping consistency (about 5-6 tablespoons).




Pour into a well-greased loaf tin or square cake tin. Bake in a moderate oven, 190C (375F), Gas 5, for about 35-40 minutes. Cool in tin, then cut into about 15 squares or slices.

No comments:

Post a Comment