Wednesday, 25 January 2012

No Sew Cushion Covers!

Well this is a departure for me, I'm not good at design and less so for interior design, usually I leave it to those who have a better eye for colour and co-ordination than me, but occasionally I dabble in knitting, card making and jewellery making, all with varying success. This latest endeavour started with a purse I knitted with leftover yarn, from a previous cardigan project, I needed to line the purse, so I went to a local curtain shop and bought a bag of remnants for  €5, great value right!. I realised my mistake when I got home and discovered it was full of beautiful brocade material and silky fabrics, oops! Now I had to make good on the shop owners generosity, so here goes.
I have a sewing machine but on this occasion I decided to go down the lazy route and use Bondaweb and a hot iron (Bondaweb is a brand name for a double sided adhesive to bond fabrics together simply by ironing, I used it a lot in my suit wearing days to shorten suit trousers). This method is ideal for smaller jobs but a sewing machine would be better suited to anything bigger.
This is not difficult (otherwise I wouldn't have made these covers) because you are essentially making an envelope, it takes around 8-10 minutes per cover, worth a try I think. I took my inspiration from a fellow blogger who also has her own excellent step by step instruction here.

Materials
Fabric
Cushion
Bondaweb
Iron
Ironing Board
Sharp Scissors

Method
I used old cushions that needed updating, removed the covers and got cracking.


I cut a large rectangle from the material and left about 8-10 cm either side for the seams. Bondaweb needs a wider seam than sewing because it is about 2cm wide. I hemmed both of the narrow ends of the rectangle, right side facing down.


With the right side facing up, I folded the rectangle into thirds with a 3-4cm overlap, marked the required length with a pin, press the material, bond the two outside seams. Creating one side of the cushion pockets.


I fitted the cushion pad inside the new pocket and measured again the proper fit, allowing for the 3-4cm overlap.


Mark with a pin and press, bond the remaining outside seams, allow to cool.When the cover has cooled, turn right side out and put in your cushion pad, that's it you're finished. I made a whole collection of different sized cushions, including a draught excluder.


I had three 20cm x 20cm deep canvasses left over from a acrylic painting phase I went through so I covered them with matching material using a staple gun.

No comments:

Post a Comment