Wednesday, 24 April 2013

Succotash Soup (Vegetarian / Vegan)


I'm reading The Great Gatsby at the moment, I'm just at the point where I'm about to find out what it is that Gatsby is up to...where all his wealth comes from, it's very exciting. I've fallen in love with F. Scott Fitzgerald  descriptive writing, I feel like I've become part of the story, imagining myself in a shimmering 1920's dress at one of Gatsby many parties. You become one of the characters drifting among the glamours guests trying to piece together what it is that Gatsby is hiding.
As a result of all this day dreaming I have discovered an old recipe. This healthy soup can be knocked up for a light lunch or snack in no time at all. It is a vegetarian/ vegan dish, but if you prefer to add some cooked chicken or bacon cubes go right ahead. Succotash is a traditional North American Indian dish of sweetcorn and lima beans or other shell beans that is well worth having at your disposal if you get lost in the pages of a good  book!

Recipe adapted from The Vegetarian Kitchen edited by Linda Fraser 

Serves 4

Ingredients
50g Butter or margarine (I used Pure Soya Spread)
1 Large onion, chopped
2 Lg carrots, peeled and cut into short batons
900ml Milk or unsweetened soya milk
1 Vegetable stock cube (the better the quality the better the taste)
2 Medium-sized waxy potatoes, peeled and diced (I used two Rooster potatoes)
1 Thyme sprig
225g Sweetcorn, frozen, canned or fresh
225g Butter beans or broad beans, canned, frozen or fresh
2 tbsp Fresh parsley

Method
Prepare the vegetables before melting the butter or margarine over a low heat in a large saucepan.


Add the onions and carrots to the saucepan and sauté in the butter or margarine over a gentle heat for 3-4 minutes, until the vegetables are softened but not coloured.


Don't be tempted to add the potatoes to the saucepan before adding the liquid as the starch will cause them to stick to the bottom of the pot and burn!


Add the milk or unsweetened soya milk, vegetable stock, potatoes, thyme, sweetcorn and the butter beans or broad beans. Turn up the heat slightly but not too much as the milk might split.



I'm beginning to think that my can opener is finally kaput! It has been mangling tins for some time now, this was my fifth (!) attempt at opening the tin of sweetcorn. Finally I managed to manhandle the lid off enough for the sweetcorn to pour out!


I digress..back to the soup. Simmer the soup for 10 minutes or until the potatoes are tender but not falling apart. Season to taste and serve in warm bowls, garnished with the fresh parsley.


I like to serve this with brown bread (not traditional I know) or corn bread if you can get it.


Yep that's my reflection in the soup spoon. My camera body is bright red, which casts a soft pink hew on all my macro shots, especially on sunny days! Thank goodness for photo editing software, although I decided to leave this shot as it was :)

No comments:

Post a Comment