Monday, 20 May 2013

Morning Madness Muffins


I'm an early riser, my alarm clock starts shouting for my attention at 06.30 and if it is persuasive enough I'll crawl out of bed (I think a main line IV of espresso would also be very helpful, especially on dark winter morning to jump start the day!) That said I am very diligent about providing a proper cooked breakfast, all at the expense of eating something proper myself. They say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and although I agree I sometimes find that I'm the one eating on the run! Getting lunches made, uniforms on and school bags in order can eat up a lot of time. This is my fallback breakfast plan, as I usually end up having my breakfast after the school run is finished.
These muffins are full of traditional breakfast ingredients but all wrapped up in a muffin, the batter is a mix of porridge oats and dried fruit, all of which is filled with gooey marmalade or apricot preserve topped off with crunchy porridge oats, what more could you ask for when time is against you!

*This recipe is a hybrid of two brilliant recipes   To Die for Blueberry Muffins  and Odlums Morning Muffins 

Makes 8- 9 Muffins



Ingredients
190g Plain flour
150g Granulated sugar
50g Porridge oats
3g Salt
9g Baking powder
125g Raisins or chopped dried apricots
80mls Vegetable oil
80mls Milk
4 tbsp Orange juice
1 Egg

Filling
9 tsp Marmalade or apricot preserve

Topping
50g Demerara
 Sugar
75g Porridge 
2 tbsp Sunflower Oil


Method
Preheat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF/Gas Mark 6. Line a 12 hole muffin tray with 8 or 9 paper cases (I usually use Dr. Oetker Muffin paper cases). Stir together the plain flour, sugar, porridge oats, salt, baking powder and dried fruit together in a large bowl. Meanwhile in a small jug or bowl combine the oil, milk, orange juice and the egg with a fork. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients, add wet ingredients, combine gently but thoroughly (this makes for softer muffins if you don't over mix the batter).   



Divide the muffin batter between the muffin cases, I find it's best to only ¾ fill the paper cases allowing room for the topping. With a floured thumb, make a deep hole in the centre of the muffin batter.



Fill the each muffin with a teaspoonful of the marmalade or apricot preserve, using the teaspoon to coax the jam into place (a rather satisfying part of the whole process I must say).




Don't they look so pretty, all ready and waiting for the topping!



For the topping combine the sugar and porridge oats with the vegetable oil, thoroughly mix everything together.



Divide topping evenly (about 1½-2 tsp per muffin) between the muffins. Heaping the topping over the jammy centre should prevent sink holes appearing in the porridge topping!


Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes until the muffins are risen and golden. To test if they are fully cooked, gently press your finger slightly off centre if it springs back it's good to go.


Cool on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes allowing for the jam to cool and serve with a mug of coffee on the go!

No comments:

Post a Comment