Tuesday, 15 October 2013

Jam Tarts


Long story short my son thinks that when the Vikings pillaged Ireland they came for, wait for it Jam Tarts! Now how, I hear you ask did he come up with that, well I have to say I am to blame!


When he was much younger he asked what the Vikings wanted when they came to Ireland, I tempered the reality with what I thought was a harmless, if somewhat flip answer, he was only three after all so I said..."erm Jam Tarts son, they came for Jam Tarts".
Thinking that I had mollified his curiosity and planning to at some point in the future, rectify my bogus answer. I carried on secure in the knowledge that he would most likely ask the very same question in a week's time and I would have to think of some other harmless answer. To this day he still quotes this bogus fact, now of all the things that I have told my children "say please" "say thank you" a thousand times, this he remembers! I have since tried to right my wrong, but still with every batch of jam tarts I bake he still talks about the Vikings.

Makes 12-15

Ingredients
200g Plain flour plus extra for dusting
Pinch of salt
25g Icing sugar
100g Margarine (or 50g cold butter and 50g margarine)
4-5 tbsp Cold water
454g Jar of jam

Method
Preheat the oven to 190ºC/375ºF/Gas Mark 5. Lightly grease a 12 hole bun tray.


Mix the flour, salt and icing sugar together in a large bowl.


Dice the cold butter or margarine, add to the flour mixture.


Rub the margarine into the flour with your fingertips until it resembles wet sand. It is important to use your fingertips as they are the coolest part of your hand, the butter or margarine needs to be cold for crumbly pastry.


Add the cold water one tablespoon at a time and mix together with a blunt knife until the pastry begins to come together.


Tip the pastry onto a large piece of cling film, flatten out and chill for 20-30 minutes in the fridge.


When the pastry has rested, roll out on a lightly floured surface until it is about 2-3mm thick.


Cut out with a round cutter. I use a 8½cm cutter for my tin, but you might need a different size, it depends on the depth of your tray.


Place roughly a teaspoon and a half of jam into each pastry tart.


Three quarter filling each tart will allow the jam to bubble up without boiling over.


I made half strawberry and half blackcurrant jam.


Bake in the preheated oven for 15-17 minutes or until the pastry golden. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack before serving. 


No comments:

Post a Comment